"Exchange rate of gross value is missing" when importing dividends from CSV

Hi,
Thanks for creating Portfolio Performance. I am still exploring its features, but so far it looks great.

But I have a problem when I try to import historical transactions into my deposit account. Most types of transactions I have tried are successfully imported, but dividends are a problem. I have explained the problem below. Does anybody have a solution for this please?

Here is a brief example of the problem:

I set up a security with currency of GBX . This currency is necessary to allow quotes to be correctly downloaded into my portfolio.

I then created a csv file to test the import of dividend transactions for this security. The contents of my csv file looks like this:
Date,Ticker Symbol,Type,Note,Value
18/08/2020,BARC.L,Dividend,37.50

During the import, the final window of the import shows the dividend transaction as an error, with the text crossed through. When I right-click on the transaction in that window, it shows an error message:
“Exchange rate of gross value is missing (transaction currency GBP and security currency GBX)”.

If I add a Transaction Currency of “GBX” to the transaction in my csv file and then import it, it gives a different error:
“Transaction currency GBX does not match account currency GBP”

I have tried many combinations of fields and values in the csv file but I cannot get it to work properly. I did notice some similar posts about dividends in the forum but they are slightly different problems and none of them were of help to me.

I can manually add the dividend to my deposit account. I tried that and it worked fine. The problem is that I have many years of historical transactions to import (hundreds of transactions) so it will not be practical to manually add all of them. For curiosity, I looked at the xml file after I manually added the dividend, to see if I could find an easy way to add all my dividends directly to the xml file, but there are some elements in the xml that I cannot understand, eg, the uuid and amount. For reference here is the xml for the dividend after I manually created it:

<account>
  <uuid>05ae13d0-e0d6-436b-97b2-517e2725ea8a</uuid>
  <name>my_deposit_account</name>
  <currencyCode>GBP</currencyCode>
  <isRetired>false</isRetired>
  <transactions>
    <account-transaction>
      <date>2018-03-27T00:00</date>
      <amount>1022683</amount>
      <shares>0</shares>
      <type>DEPOSIT</type>
    </account-transaction>
    <account-transaction>
      <date>2020-08-18T00:00</date>
      <amount>3750</amount>
      <security reference="../../../../../securities/security[13]"/>
      <shares>1000000000</shares>
      <units>
        <unit type="GROSS_VALUE">
          <amount currency="GBP" amount="3750"/>
          <forex currency="GBX" amount="375000"/>
          <exchangeRate>0.01</exchangeRate>
        </unit>
      </units>
      <type>DIVIDENDS</type>
    </account-transaction>
  </transactions>
  <attributes>
    <map/>
  </attributes>
</account>

I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Did you find a way to solve this?

If you export the account where are the manually created dividends are in, how does the target.csv-file looks like? Especially the lines with the dividends?

I experience exactly the same issue as described here. There is no field for exchange rate when a CSV file is imported in account transactions.

Can anybody help?

Exactly the same problem, would great if could just upload the final GBP value irrespective of the currency Gbx, USD etc.

Date, ISIN, Type, Value in GBP

@moderators any chance you can help?

or anyone manage to solve this issue

Guessing no solution yo this?

Hello @Sunesh_Kakad
I have read about this problem several times now. So far I have only read around the PDF import and submitted some pull-requests. I don’t work with the CSV importer myself. So could you provide me with a CSV file? I can’t promise anything, but I will see what can be done.
Is the problem with all conversions only from 1:100 or 100:1 ?

C ya
Alex

Hi Nirus,

thanks for coming back to me it all conversion as there now way to put in the exchange rate in the uploader for dividends, teh forum does not support share of CSV so convert to xslx
from_2020-03-10_to_2021-03-08_MTYxNTI4NDQ2MzU3NQ.xlsx (10.4 KB)

I think if we had exchange rate conversion column in importer may fix issue

@Nirus any thoughts?

Hello, I’m sorry,
I just haven’t found the time in the last few days.
@AndreasB , @inv-trad , could you find some time?

@Nirus thanks totally understand Think this solve a problem for lot user who import data via spreadsheet and know for fact some of people are using the software from Trading212 to track portfolios. Too add over 200 dividends manually is just way to time consuming.

Thanks for any help

Hello Nirus,
I am still facing the same problem as Sunesh_Kadad. Have you been able to look into this issue?
Thanks, Gerard

Hello @Sunesh_Kakad and @Gerard

With the new version 0.52.0 of PP:
New: CSV import supports dividends in foreign currency
You can now - finally - import dividends in foreign currency via CSV. To do this, select the currency from the gross amount. Now there is still one small thing missing: Fees and taxes in foreign currency… to come.

Hi,
So I finally managed yesterday to import the dividends through a csv import.
Had to edit a little bit the original export from degiro, but worked in the end thanks to this topic and your help on a github link I think

I had to create new cash accounts in the corresponding currencies (my main currency is €)

Then I’ve went with the option of transferring these amounts from these new ‘temporary’ cash accounts in foreign currency directly to the original cash account that I use for degiro (which is in €) so that it better reproduces the real situation of my accounts.

In statement of assets, selecting the degiro accounts in filter, I noticed that the dividends coming from foreign currencies weren’t displayed.

Then I figured out that I could create a new filter, including : degiro account + ‘temporary’ cash accounts used for the foreign currencies and now the dividends are displayed :slight_smile:

I guess all this first part could be usefull for other people !

Now for the second part / my question : is there a better / ‘smarter’ way to do all that ?

Thanks!

HI,
Could u please elaborate or explain furhter how u do that?
Does it work as well with PDF imports on the transactions?
I have an USD account for transaction of USD shares and dividends.

Thanks
Ed

Facing same problem trying to import GBP dividends to GBP cash account but where the Securities are in a mix of GBP and GBX. Will have to try the temporary foreign cash solution.

@ProgFriese - “If you export the account where are the manually created dividends are in, how does the target.csv-file looks like?”
Columns are: Date, Type, Value, Transaction Currency, Taxes, Shares, ISIN, WKN, Ticker Symbol, Security Name, Note.

For a test dividend I entered in GBP where security is in GBX, the Value exported is in GBP and the Transaction Currency is shown as GBP

If I delete the test dividend and try to import the exported dividend line from the export file, error is:
“Exchange rate of gross value is missing (transaction currency GBP and security currency GBX)”

Managed to find the way for transaction imports (entering Exchange Rate, Transaction Currency AND using Portfolio Transactions not Account Transactions).

Sadly that doesn’t work for dividends because Portfolio Transactions spits out type Dividend.

Gone round in circles. The importer either doesn’t like difference between Account currency and currency of the dividend or it doesn’t like difference between Security currency and dividend currency.

I know that the UK quotes being in GBX and GBP is a bit of an oddity, but surely this issue must arise for anyone holding securities in a currency which is not their Cash Account currency?

I’ll go check out Github to see if this is an issue which is understood already. It does seem like a pretty significant bug which has been around for many years judging by this thread.

Did you find a way to do the transfers from the temprary cash account to your main cash account in bulk? I can’t find it and without that it seems the effort is similar to entering all the dividends.

Thanks.