Fees on securities

Hello,

Is it possible to add fees on “securities accounts” as a broker takes a fee from holding our stocks? And if it possible, how can I do it?

Best Regards

Fees are taken in money, so only from a money account. The transaction can be attributed to a security, though.

If your broker keeps part of your holding, it’s a sell to a money account, followed by a fee taken from said account.

Thanks for the reply,

I cannot, therefore, attribute the fee to the broker. Tt has to be to a security?

So you don’t want the fee to be attributed to the cash account associated with the brokerage account? You could create a dummy security that you only use to book fees on.

Dear mjunior30,

One of my brokers does the same. They take the fees for carrying the security account out of my shares. However, they indicate how many of my shares they sell.

In my opinion the broker has to tell you that value as the amount of shares sold reduces your overall holdings. The overall holding is THE most important figure you or PP need.
Even if they do not tell you you can calculate the shares sold by the difference of two reports. This is more tedious and I still believe the number figure is directly accessible somewhere.

How you book the fees depends on what the fees are for. In case they are for carrying the security account they should not be attributed to a security. In case the fees are for selling or buying shares they should be attributed to a security.

I hope this makes sense

Harry

Thank you for your answer

I understand your points. And that is what I mean. So the fee is not on the security itself, but a fee the brokerage has just for holding the securities, in my name, in my account.

What I want to add on PP is the fee on the holdings (the broker, which is taken out of my debit account - the broker is my bank), not a fee on the securities bought or sold.

Best Regards

Dear mjunior30,

if it is a genaral fee you should book it to the account.

However, you need to geneate two bookings: a sell of stocks and a fee.

In case you may not know, you book the fee by e.g. right clicking on the account related to the security account. You do not need to select a security in the dialogue box.

In PP you should have an account related to the security accout even if your broker does carry a related account for you.

I hope this helps

Hi Harry_Hirsch, my apologies for bringing up an old thread.

I do have the same experience, my broker charges a fee by selling some of my held securities.

In such a case, what is the best way to represent this in PP? I am currently using delivery(outbound), but I noticed that it affects the P&L as it is treated as me selling the security.
FYI, I use delivery(inbound) for my buy transactions.

That’s the way it goes. Their is no difference if you or your broker sell securities to balances the fee.

1 Like

Hey Braken,

as Rafa indicated, it is a proper physical sale. It reduces the amount of securities in your account.

You should, however, not use a delivery (outbound) but a sale instead. With an outbound delivery the cash you got for the sale would not appear on your cash acount from which you then would pay the fees.

1 Like