First-time Eclipse setup

Hi all,

I’m having some difficulty getting setup for the first time in Eclipse - I’m sure I’m just missing something simple, but having never used Eclipse before (I develop in VS Code, WebStorm, & Visual Studio - in C#, PHP, & JavaScript), it’s a bit foreign. As is most of the language here on the forum :slight_smile: Here were my exact steps:

• Download & extract Eclipse (I’m on Ubuntu)
  • Help->Install New Software->Work with=All Available Sites, & search for “Eclipse PDE.” Install.
  • File->Import->Git->Projects from Git->Clone URI, & clone the master branch.
  • Open portfolio-target-definition.target, & click “Set as Active Target Platform” at the top right.

According to the readme, I think this should be it, & I should be able to run. However, the autobuild still shows thousands of errors - mostly ‘xxx cannot be resolved to a type.’

Could this be an environment issue? My java --version is openjdk 11.0.11 2021-04-20

Thanks in advance for any ideas

I would bet on the target platform setup. But it is hard to know without knowing what xxx is. Maybe post a screenshot?

Thanks for the quick reply - here’s a screengrab showing the full list of errors:

(Side note: this forum seems to disallow gif - animated gif is quite a bit more space efficient than mp4, for posting captures :slight_smile: )

Follow the instructions … :sweat_smile:

1. Download Eclipse 2021-09
  2. Install Eclipse
    2.1. Config Eclipse that used Java11, if you have a other version
  3. Go MarketPlace
    3.1. Install Plug-in Development Environment (PDE)
    3.2. Install infinitest
    3.3. Install ResourceBundle Editor
    3.4. Install Checkstyle Plug-in
  4. Go to Install new Software
    4.1. Install LDSL plugin → https://mduft.github.io/lcdsl-latest/
  5. Download repository of PP
  6. Open in repository portfolio-target-definition
    6.1. Waiting to download and activated all needed plugins… in first run, it need maybe 30 minutes
  7. Open in menu the view Window → Show View → Other… → Debug → Launch Configuration
    7.1. Right in launcher and regenerate
  8. Start to check the diffrend launchers

i hope it helps…
Alex

1 Like

Config Eclipse that used Java11, if you have a other version

What do I need to look for in about->installation details->configuration to ensure that it’s using the right version (it’s immensely long)? Or, how to specify this config?

Install Plug-in Development Environment (PDE)

I’m assuming this is equivalent to “Eclipse PDE Plug-In Developer Resources” - that’s the only similar thing that came up under “Help/Install new Software,” as specified in the readme (& after installing that & checking the marketplace, when I search for PDE, I am able to find "Plug-In Development Environment & it says installed).

Install LDSL plugin → https://mduft.github.io/lcdsl-latest/

When I add that URL, it lists 2 options, neither of which are called “LDSL plugin:” one is “Launch Configuration DSL” and the other is “Launch View.” Which is required for the build?

Waiting to download and activated all needed plugins… in first run, it need maybe 30 minutes

Does it show some status/indication of the progress? I didn’t see anything happening or any indication of progress.

Open in menu the view Window → Show View → Other… → Debug → Launch Configuration

I lost you from here - couldn’t find any “Launch Configuration” in that Show View dialog, but I don’t believe this should affect its ability to build. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to understand any of the steps after 7.

Thanks for the ideas! Still getting all those errors so far tho :confused:

Look in Menue → Windows → Preferences:

Yes… in Eclipse MarketPlace

Look in Menue → Help → Install new Software… install both

Look in Menue → Windows → Show view → Progress
If you open now the “portfolio-target-definition” you see it

And last… Start “Launcher”
Look in Menue → Windows → Show view → Other

I hope it helps…
Alex

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder if this is the problem? Is OpenJDK 11 not acceptable?

Of course OpenJDK is acceptable. I am using also using a non-Oracle build.

About the errors: That indicate that the build is not working. The “target platform” provides the dependent libraries. Can you have a look at the preferences what the target platform says? It should point to the target platform in the code.

Got it, thanks! I have no idea what was wrong, but I nuked Eclipse & started the whole setup process completely from scratch, & it seemed to work - just a few minor build warnings now. My guess is that I had simply proceeded with some next step while it was still working on something in the background last time, as Eclipse’s progress was incredibly non-obvious by default (i.e. just that tiny indicator in the lower right). This time when I waited for each step to completely finish before trying any next step, it seemed to work.