Fractional shares after reverse stock split

Hi! I’m having a question about reverse stock split registration. Here’s an example:

• I have 125 stocks
  • There’s a reverse stock split with 1:50 ratio
    When I’m using the “Stock split” functionality from PP it handles everything nicely, but I’m getting 2,5 stocks as the result. In my actual portfolio I have 2 as the result of the split (125 were sold, but only 2 were bought as you can’t have a part of a stock)

What would be the best way to record this in PP to have it matched with the actual portfolio?

Hey voom,

PP can handle partial shares. For now I would leave it as it is and carry 2.5 pcs of your shares. I assume that in the near future your bank will issue a sale of 0.5 shares to you. You would book that sale in PP as well and everything is fine. You have to be compensated for that half share.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply Harry! Yes, you’re right I’ve got the compensation for the sold shares. I was a bit confused as I tried to enter the data just like it was presented to me by the broker in the following order: sell 125 with old price → report a stock split → buy 2 with new price. But with this I ended with the negative shares balance as it all was registered on the same day.
I will try to follow your advise and register it as: report a stock split → sell 0.5 shares.

Regards!

That is the best option. With a sell/buy you would have had a different holding period.

If you have not done so yet, try the split in a dummy or copy file. Also I get confused with the options in the split function, and once you decided for adapting the historic quotes it is hard to bring them back.

4 Likes

Your suggestion worked out well! Thanks again!