How to import from Interactive Brokers

Ok, thanks for the explanation. The export works fine. Unfortunately, all transactions are crossed out inside the import process an marked with a red X without any explanation.

Ok, I will look at the code. There are several sanity checks that I have not really looked at. But possibly one of them is rejecting your data.
Can you just paste some lines from the data you are importing - that might give me ideas.
Thanks

Right click on a crossed out transaction -> there should be an explanation

I assume there is a problem with the currency of the account in PP and the currency of the IB transactions.
Did you export your account information from IB?

1 Like

Hey,

sorry, forget to answer. Yes, it’s an export from IB. Actual the error says (in German) sth. like: booking currency USD is not valid for account currency EUR.

My account currency is EUR and the dividend is paid in USD. I think I exported the currency conversion. Any other advice than changing the account currency?

edit: I could edit the XML in excel and change the currency text from USD to EUR and do a currency conversion from 10 EUR to 12,4 USD (e.g.)
edit2: the row for “Withholding Tax” is automatically calculated (I would say with the value fxRateToBase) from USD to EUR during the import. Why doesn’t this work for dividends?

Thank you, Charles for this import filter. Some of my transactions aren’t imported without error message - some wrong. Is there a logfile to check or sth else?

With kind regards

…moved to https://minddumpdotblog.wordpress.com/portfolio-performance/.

TL;TR
In your Interactive Brokers (or LYNX) account, under „Reports“ go into tab „Flex Queries“ (not „Statements“).
Check the bars

• Cash Transactions
  • Corporate Actions
  • Trades
    …in each internally just „SELECT ALL“ and click [SAVE] at the end.
    Do not change the „General Configuration“ part (like date/time format and separator);
    Click [Continue], [Save Changes] [Ok].

To run it use the (->) icon, maximum period is „Last 365 days“, save as XML (default).

2 Likes

I have just downloaded and installed this program. Then downloaded the Flex. query from IBKR as it is in the forum. When I try to import it, only the stocks/ETFs that have the same currency as the base currency get imported, all the others are crossed out and don’t get imported. If the base currency is EUR, then the non-EUR transactions are not imported, if I set USD as the base currency, all the non-USD transactions are not imported. How can I fix this?

1 Like

Hi, i have the same problem…did you find a solution ?

No, I didn’t find a solution, nor did I get a response, so I can’t use the app, I gave up.
I found Stonksfolio instead. It is still new, some stocks/ETFs are missing, but if someone requests any, it will be added to the database in a day or two. I will see how it works once all my requested stocks and ETFs are added. If it doesn’t work well, there are many other similar apps/websites.
Portfolio Performance just doesn’t work. I don’t know how people with more than one currency can use the IBKR import function.

1 Like

For people who are still struggling, I advise you to create separate deposit accounts. For example, I have IB GBP and IB USD, each linked to separate securities accounts and each in their own currency.

Then, you can import twice the XML and the transactions will import correctly.

Hi palcu, just to make sure I understood correctly, you have one Flex Query in IBKR and you import the resulting XML file twice into PP, one time against the “IB GBP” securities account, the other time against “IB USD” and each time it will just import the transactions in the same (reference) currency as the securities account?

Yes, that’s correct. My setup is that I have an IB XYZ cash account and an IB XYZ securities account for each currency that I trade.

I actually have several currencies USD, EUR, HKD, GBP and CNY. I run the IB flex query for a month and get one XML file. Then, I select my cash account as IB USD and my securities account as the matching IB USD securities account. All the non-USD transactions will be crossed out with a “currency XYZ does not match account currency USD”. But that’s exactly what I expect and I’m easily able to import all my transactions. I do this for each currency and then I’m done.

As the securities accounts do not have a currency attached to them: Would it also be possible to use just one security account and only switch the deposit account once per corresponding currency? The currency is directly linked to the security.

Hello,

I have been using PP for quite a while. I have been tracking my investments in T212 with my custom import templates for CSV, which took me some time to figure out but works like a charm now.

A few weeks ago I opened an account with IBKR, hoping to buy some ETFs, Mutual Funds that were unavailable at T212.

Now came the time to add my portfolio in IBKR to PP, but I am facing an issue with the flex query importer. From what I can see this Flex Query is the best way to export data from the IB platform, but the integrated importer in PP is not correctly reading my Fund trades. I am not getting any errors, I can see my deposits, but the fund trade (that is available in the XML file) is not recognized!

Has someone else had similar issues with mutual funds? Has anyone found a workaround? Or is this a bug I need to submit to PP devs?

Thank you!

Hello @VVarbanov
Please provide a test file here and we can take a look.

Regards Alex

The settings according to this guide helped me.
Check if you have everything set up correctly.

1 Like

Thank you @segi , this is the exact guide I followed! I think I am not missing anything, but you never know!

I will attach a test XML file below. Thank you for the assistance, Alex (@Nirus )!
2023-04-test.xml (4.0 KB)

Hello @VVarbanov
If everything is ok, this should be included in the next release.

Regards
Alex

1 Like

Thank you so much Alex!

Have a great one!

I handle it the same way, but it does not track currency exchanges. How did you solve this for you?