for approx one year I have been suffering from a “strange error message” problem with limit handling when defining securities in the “All securities” view. However, today the problem got so bad that when I try to open the “All Securities” view, I get “Internal error: Reason: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException”. Luckily I could still open the backup-file and save my data. I would gladly send this file which causes this internal error to some developer who wants to examine the problem? (but I’d rather not send it into this forum, as it contain all my personal financial data).
However, I describe briefly the background which led into this:
I have Portfolio Performance 0.50.2, which I run in macOS Catalina 10.15.7.
The strange behaviour starts like this:
I vant to define a security with a limit, so I go to All Securities view, press the plus-sign, and enter in this example the data for the “Security Master Data”:
Currency: JPY (Japanese Yen)
Then I click the historical quotes tab, and choose “Provider” as “Yahoo Finance”. The historical data is shown. Good.
Then I go to “Additional Attributes”-tab, press the plus-sign, and add the attribute “Limit”. I enter as its value “< 3200”, because I want a visual notification when the value goes below 3200. I press OK. Everything went as excepted, except: in the list of securities, the limit is now shown as “< 3 200,00”.
This is strange, but it seems cosmetic for now.
Then I right-mouse click the same security, choose “Edit”, and the “Security Master Data” tab opens - but now it shows a red error message right after the security name:
“A limit must be formatted as a relational comparator (>, >= , < or <=) followed by a price”
This is strange because this is exactly what I did.
I press the Additional Attributes tab again.
The limit is shown as “< 3 200,00”.
I edit it back to “<3200”. Even removing the first space after the number three removes the error message, but I clean also the decimals and the comma away. I press OK
Result: again it shows in the list of securities as “<3 200,00”
I have considered this only as a cosmetic issue, but today it got so bad that when I created a new security with a limit, I started to get these internal java -error messages. It was strange: My new security was named as “Seabridge”, and when I wanted to edit it here in the “All securities” view, I first searched for its name with the search box until the view contained only this security. I defined limit for it - all OK. I started to clean up the display by pressing backspace in the search box - and when I had removed enough characters (and enough new securities were visible), this internal java error came. I tried to experiment by editing one security with this kind of a “<= 3200”-limit, and as a result, the “All securities” -view now refuses to open.