Market value is much higher than expected

Hi,

Any idea what’s going on here:

From these transactions entered:

…for some reason I’m getting a market value much greater than expected:

It seems to me as if somehow the quote looked up is some multiple / order of magnitude different than the price ‘quote’ per unit in the purchase transaction.

I’m completely new to this software - where / how can I correct / align the correct unit prices?

Thanks for your help

Very much possible, but since you withhold all relevant information (such as the currencies involved), noone will be able to tell.

think about GBP / GBX

@chirlu Thanks for your reply.

Not “withholding”, but didn’t realise currency has anything do with it. Like I said, I’m new to this. The transaction currencies are GBP.

@ProgFriese

think about GBP / GBX

I don’t know what you mean

Change units from pounds to pence for example

You should divide by 100 to convert from pence to pounds

Thanks, I understood GBP / GBX, but not how/where to adjust this in the PP software. If I add manually or imported transactions from CSV or PDF then PP [correctly?] shows the price per unit as regular GBP with decimal:

Are you suggesting I’m supposed to assume the quotes lookup source (e.g. Yahoo Finance) is going to report in GBX and then I should manually adjust the transactions, dividing by 100 each time?

I can’t see anywhere when I add the quote provider to the Security:

What am I missing?

OK, but where/ how / at what stage in the workflow?

Currency is under “Security Master Data”

These are all GBP (which I believe I can’t edit once a trade has been recorded - is that correct?)

Yes, you have to delete the transactions, change the currency …

Take a look at How to use the CSV Import functions for GBX priced securities? - Portfolio Performance Manual (portfolio-performance.info) from the manual.

1 Like

I did look but didn’t find it until you posted here:

Thanks (It’s a shame it’s so complicated, I will have to leave for another day as creating 150 securities from scratch and then matching transactions will take many hours)

Yes, it’s only recently added by @stuartb3502. Maybe, he has some more valuable tips.

I think your best bet may be to delete all transactions for GBX priced securities. I actually found it cleaner/safer to delete all transactions (assuming you have an import CSV of your transactions), but it’s strictly only the GBX ones which need to be cleaned out so you can edit the currency.

Keep the securities.

You’ll have to manually change the currency on the securities which are priced in GBX. If you delete the securities you would need to manually tell PP again to use Yahoo! Finance for quotes which is more work I think.

There are some tips in the How To for working with Yahoo! Finance to check pricing currency (GBP/GBX) for each security.

You’ll likely need to manipulate your transactions import CSV as you’ll need additional columns to get it to import correctly. That’s covered in the How To.

You won’t need to match transactions yourself as (assuming your import sheet has the Yahoo! ticker) they’ll get matched on import.

If you meant something else by “matched” or if you think I can assist once you’ve had a chance to look through the How To, let me know. Will do my best.

I don’t know how comfortable you are with Excel, but I can help with pointers there in relation to all this which I’ve not had time to write up yet.

Stuart

Thanks for your kindness in offering support (and taking the time to write the guide). I’m an Excel ‘native’ so should be able to semi-automate a way of transforming the exports from the various investment platforms into something optimal for a PP workflow. The tricky part for me is working out PP’s functionality, terminology, and how /where to find the guidance relevant guidance. I will come back to it when I have some time.

No worries. You sound like you’re in a similar position to where I was. People like Hugo helped me. Getting there was painful, but hopefully the guide will help avoid a few wrong turns.

If you’re Excel handy, then assembling a lookup table of securities which maps your broker’s security descriptor to the YF ticker symbol is useful. The lookup table can also have Currency Gross Amount (see guide) and Exchange Rate so these can be easily added to your imports where required.

Cheers.